top of page


scraps of fabric.jpg

My Mission

I opened The Sustainable Sewing Shop with a simple purpose: to craft high-quality, unique products using what was already available. Whether that meant helping businesses put their discards to better use, or designing my own products using reclaimed and repurposed materials, my goal was to be the greatest steward of the resources I already had.

My Approach

Did you know that polyester can take more than 200 years to decompose? At The Sustainable Sewing Shop, my goal is to keep items from winding up in landfills by putting every scrap to good use.

When partnering with clients, I help them identify their material waste (off-cuts, factory defects, etc) and help them find creative solutions for these resources rather than send them to be trashed. Sometimes I help businesses design and prototype new products from these materials, while other times I simply help clients identify ways to improve their current product line by using their bill of materials to the fullest. Regardless of the solution, my aim is to find the potential in every scrap.

When sewing on my “own” time (does one ever really put sewing down?!) I strive to do the same as with my clients. From using every scrap of material for clothes, to quilts, to self-designed products, I work to keep waste out of my own trash bin as much as possible. Sometimes that even means shredding scraps to make my own filler! Other times, that means passing the love forward to like-minded people by selling, trading, or donating material for others to put to good use. Fun fact, this is why I opened an Etsy shop; to share vintage/antique sewing supplies with as many like-minded sewers as possible! After all, only together can we continue this important work.

cutting up clothing for a new project.jpg
cutting up clothing for a new project.jpg

My Commitment

In 2018, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) published a report on the previous 35 years' generation and disposition of municipal solid waste (MSW). In that year alone, 17.3 million tons of textile waste was generated in the United States, with 11.3 million tons ending up in landfills. Compared this to the 1.71 million tons of textile waste that was landfilled in 1960, and it is clear that our treatment of textiles has changed dramatically.

As a sewist and consumer living in the United States, I recognize the unique part I play when in the manufacturing and consumption of soft goods. And while I- while we- have a long way to go when it comes to reducing our environmental footprint, it is my goal to bring awareness of these issues, reduce waste where I can, and empower others to do the same. As such, I have made a personal commitment to uphold the following:

  • Using 95% secondhand or recycled materials in my studio (the remaining 5% being hard-to-find renewable supplies like thread, interfacing, etc.)

  • Using 100% recycled and/or compostable shipping and packaging supplies for my wares

  • Selling locally when possible to offset the carbon emissions generated by shipping long-distance

  • Creating functional or heirloom-worthy that can be passed on for generations, thus reducing the likelihood of turning to fast fashion or buying new

  • Employing the Make Do & Mend mentality of our foreparents to help extend the life of usable items

packaging for sewing supplies.jpg
bottom of page